Advent is that time of year where we long for the coming of our Lord, the arrival of something and someone bigger than ourselves.
As we enter into Advent this coming Sunday, here are some ways to celebrate and enjoy the gift of the season:
Activities for Families
- Read the Christmas story in the Bible together as a family and ask everyone to talk about what the gift of Jesus means to them.
- Visit a “live” Nativity scene and talk about how incredible it is that God came to us as a baby to save the world.
- Write a letter together to troops stationed overseas wishing them a Merry Christmas.
- Print and download these Advent saint ornaments and use them to decorate your tree. Click here.
- Serve a meal together at your local homeless shelter.
Ways to Serve
- Get a group together and go Christmas caroling at a retirement home. Ask the residents to join and spend time visiting with them afterwards.
- Chances are that there are organizations in your town that take meals out to the homeless. Find one near you and volunteer to cook or deliver a meal.
- Donate or volunteer with an organization like Angel Tree or Salvation Army that provides gifts and aid to the less fortunate during the holidays.
Free Printable Advent Calendars
- This Nazareth to Bethlehem Advent Calendar serves as a great reminder of Mary and Joseph’s journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Click here and print one for your family.
- This Advent Calendar lets you create your own activities for each day, which keep you focused on celebrating all Advent long. Click here for print and assembly instructions.
- This Advent Calendar features simple, beautiful, red and white designs, and can be filled with activities and treats. Click here for print and assembly instructions.
- Need more ideas? Click here for thirty more Advent Calendar ideas to inspire you.